As of today, i.e., January 29, 2020, 132 people had died from the deadly Coronavirus in China, an increase of 26 from the previous count.
Moreover, the number of confirmed cases increased by 1,459 to a total of 5,974.
Tibet, the last place in mainland China that had not registered a coronavirus case, has now announced its first suspected case. A man aged 34 who arrived from Wuhan has been placed in isolation for the health screening test.
Steps taken by China
In response to the growing health emergency, the Chinese Government has initiated the construction of new hospitals in Wuhan to treat the coronavirus victims.
The Chinese Government aims to build the new Huoshenshan hospital within a week and has scheduled to open it on February 3, 2020.
— Desi vichar (@DV99999) January 29, 2020
Another, the Leishenshan hospital, is being built with a similar schedule.
Coronavirus Impact on Chinese Business
Owing to the epidemic outbreak, the major companies in China are obliged to close their stores. Starbucks, McDonald’s and Yum China have already started closing some of their stores.
The travel restrictions and expanding screenings at airports in China has led to a fall in stock prices.
- Hotels and restaurants including Macau, Wynn Resorts, Las Vegas Sands, MGM Resorts International and Marriott have witnessed a dent in their stock value
- Popular brands including Estee Lauder, Nike and Tapestry, Kate Spade and Stuart Weitzman also saw decrease in earnings
New cases were also confirmed across the world as the virus spread to more than a dozen countries.
1) Germany: The 4 confirmed cases in Germany has raised concerns about the human-to-human spread of the virus. Four employees of a company were infected after one of them contracted it from a colleague during a visit to China.
2) Australia: Australia has confirmed the sixth coronavirus case today, i.e., January 29, 2020. A man in his 60s, who had recently visited Wuhan, tested positive in Melbourne.
3) UAE: The United Arab Emirates has confirmed the first case of coronavirus today i.e., January 29, 2020.
4) Japan: Four Japanese citizens were taken to the hospital under the suspicion of coronavirus infection as they were suffering from cold and fever. The four were among the 206 evacuees arrived today in Tokyo, after they were airlifted out of Wuhan.
Latest updates on the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak in other countries:
- Thailand – 14
- Hong Kong – 8
- Taiwan – 8
- Malaysia – 7
- Japan – 7
- Australia – 7
- Macau – 7
- USA – 5
- Singapore – 4
- South Korea – 4
- France – 4
- Germany – 4
- Canada – 2
- Vietnam – 2
- Nepal – 1
- Cambodia – 1
Coronavirus Precautions by Other Countries:
The fears of the spread of the deadly virus have already incited airline authorities across the world to cancel flights to China and companies to restrict employee movement to the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic.
1) USA: The United States Government has expanded the screening of passengers from China from 5 to 20 airports and announced the restriction of flights from and to China for a week from February 1, 2020.
2) Europe: The European Commission is planning to send two airplanes to China to evacuate at least 350 healthy citizens that include 250 French nationals. British Airways has canceled all direct flights to and from China. There are no direct flights to China in January and February. It has also suspended direct flight bookings from London to Beijing and Shanghai until March.
3) Malaysia: The Malaysian Government is planning to evacuate 78 Malaysians currently in Wuhan.
4) Australia: The Australian Government is trying to evacuate their citizens in Wuhan and place them in isolation for 14 days at Christmas Island.
5) Nepal: No new coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Nepal. Earlier, a 32-year-old youth who had returned from China was confirmed with coronavirus infection.
Stay tuned to NepaliSansar for more live news updates on Coronavirus!
Related Coronavirus Stories: